Re: ADMIN: Being nice to each other

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Being nice to each other
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- MAIL -dot- SYSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:09:13 -0700

> The "LED" discussion, for
> example, probably could have been answered by referring the member to a
> style guide. I think some list members tend to use the list as a personal
> assistant.

Well, here I am, getting all defensive. As the person guilty of the crime
of not knowing the consensus on how to pronounce LED, I am confused as to
the dumbness of this. Is it because there was such an agreement on the
pronunciation? And I need a reference to the style guide that provides
guidance on the pronunciation of technical abbreviations and acronyms.

Just as a note: I learned to check such things from being on this list. I
learned to be alert for differences from a discussion we had some time ago
about SQL. I had only heard it as S-Q-L and thought that was the *only*
way. I learned on the list that both S-Q-L and Sequel are used. This is
another case in which the pronuniciation determines "a" or "an". If I had
asked how to pronounce SQL and half the answers had said use "a" and half
had said use "an", would it still be a dumb question?

Janet

> ----
> Janet Valade,
> Technical Writer, Systech Corporation, San Diego, CA
> mailto:janetv -at- systech -dot- com
> For every complex situation, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and
> wrong.
>
> Henry Louis Mencken

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=