Re: Do technical writers deserve sunlight?

Subject: Re: Do technical writers deserve sunlight?
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:36:33 -0500

Tell your employer your doctor says you have to have some natural light
or else those lights that emulate sunlight. I saw a report a few years
ago that indicated that workers with windows (unless the sight was
ghastly like a brick wall or garbage dump) had fewer sick days, fewer
ailments, and generally felt better about their jobs. Productivity also
increased. I just moved to a window office about Thanksgiving after
being over three years stuck in the middle cube. I can attest to all of
the above....I was ready to quit but now feel much better.

However....drum roll....few buildings are designed to let ALL workers
have windows. I wish more architects would design office buildings with
natural light....even skylights would be an improvement. I know if I
don't get sunshine I turn into some kind of basket case. It gets worse
the older I get, too. I don't think I could ever live in Seattle or
Portland or somewhere that did not have LOTS of sunshine.

Tech writers need light since we work with handwritten notes and paper
docs, unlike some of the programmers I work with. They unscrew the
overhead bulbs in their cubes and only have the monitors for light. When
I have to consult with them, I feel like I'm in a cave and can't see a
thing!

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX