Re: what are the best books in our field?

Subject: Re: what are the best books in our field?
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:15:08 -0500

What a deal! A thousand bucks for books! Any openings???

On a more serious note, however....look at the Wylie & Sons series on
technical communication. The Hackos book is part of that series, as is
at least one book by Horton. l am not sure if Karen Schriver's book
("Dynamics in Document Design") is included in that series, but it's a
definite candidate for your list. Very scholarly as well as practical
and has a lot of historical information.

Other must-haves for your list: all of William Horton's books, the
"Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications," Janice King's
"Writing High-Tech Copy..." (can't remember the full title).

Are you looking for suggestions for just books related to technical
communication? You mentioned "rhetorical theory, composition studies,
... and related areas" -- I can give you some great suggestions for
composition and rhetoric too, if you're interested. I know of some good
anthologies for technical communication (academic), too.

Let me know if you want more. I have well over 2,000 books at home, and
a good portion are classics for the types of books you're looking for.

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355