Re: novelists part II

Subject: Re: novelists part II
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 17:53:21 -0800

Have I posted anything that could be considered flaming yet? Because if
not--here goes.

Will Kelly--do me a favor and reread your own post. Do you seriously
want to assert that creative writers/English majors are the only groups
in the world with members who misuse work time? Do you? Because in the
context of this thread--where we're debating justifications for not
hiring aspiring novelists--that's what you're saying. Granted, you do
acknowledge that one or two TWs with creative aspirations might actually
have ethics. Congratulations on your openmindedness.

Do I really need to mention the programmers I've known who develop
personal applications at work? The accountant and safety inspector and
candlestick maker who always seem to have Golf up on their screen when
you walk by? How about the environmental engineer who spends afternoons
working on lectures and syllabi for a college course that's going to net
him a faculty post? Or what about a certain vice president/local mayor
I knew who not only misused his own time in the office for political
business but coerced his employees to as well? And here's a good
one--what about the lawyer or paralegal, saucer eyes fixed on those mega
bucks shelled out for legal thrillers, happily whiling their clients
time away on Chapter 36?

Or do you actually mean to tell us that passing an "SME" trolling the
internet for great family vacation spots does nothing to your blood
pressue but finding a TW fine tuning their latest short story sends you
into orbit? If so, then your priorities are as screwed up as theirs.

I'm getting really tired of a certain old homily, but I guess I have to
trot it out once again because people just don't get it. Judge a person
by their work, not your own personal prejudices: if someone isn't
getting the job done, it shows. If someone not only gets the job done
but makes it look easy at the same time, that shows too.

By the way, I can't let this slide. Will, you appear to ascribe to me a
position I've never taken and never will take:

>>You are right it boils down to the person whether they have a liberal arts
>degree or a technical degree.

Never, ever will you hear me judge people on their degree unless its on
an issue that's directly related to their expertise ("in general,
geneticists know more about DNA than the average joe").