Re: novelists part II

Subject: Re: novelists part II
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:11:40 -0800

I think what triggered my inner fire was the assumption that it is
specifically novelists and english majors who are too vested in their
own words. I've found this phenomenon in lots of people, from the
receptionist who has been tasked to write a memo for the first time to
the head of a small company writing a scathing letter to the city
council. And I've met scientists in love with their own writing and
writers who see red marks as personal attacks. It has everything to do
with personality, experience, and maybe a little self esteem.

Here's a point to think about, made by another list member in a private
post: many people involved in creative or other non-technical writing
join critique groups. Think of it--these people are actually spending
their free time listening to other people take pot shots at their
creations! And why? Because they know it's the only way they're going
to improve--because they care more about the product than their own
egos. So, Doreen and everyone who thinks she has a valid point: the
next time all things are equal, instead of making an *projection* about
how a novelist or English major will react to criticism, ask them if
they belong to a critique group, and if not, why not. I bet the
response is reveailing.