Certification

Subject: Certification
From: FTN Associates <75120 -dot- 2156 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 15:51:13 EDT

Richard Dimock defensively contends that
certification already exists in the form of
a college degree and chastises those who
are interested in other forms of certification
not to "drag others who are already producing
just fine, thank you, into the program with you."

Well, defensively or a devil's advocate I had to
respond.

I work for an environmental consulting firm with
lots of engineers and geologists. Most of them have
degrees and experience, but addition to degrees as
lofty as PhD and many years of experience, most
of these folks have other initials tagged to the end
of their names: E.I.--Engineer Intern; P.E.--Professional
Engineer; R.G.--Registered Geologist; and
P.G.--Professional Geologist.

This is why I've chosen to pursue a certification: the people
with initials like other people with initials. It adds credibility
in the eyes of my coworkers. I don't pretend that it's a panacea.
I don't think it's going to give me skills I don't already have.
It's just another hoop to jump through on they way up, and
I'm not dragging anyone with me--it makes it harder to jump high.

Robyn L. Brewer
Secretary
Arkansas Chapter of STC