Re: Odd Request & Spell Checkers

Subject: Re: Odd Request & Spell Checkers
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 09:18:00 PDT

Peter Bechberger *** eMail up0s -at- rz -dot- uni-karlsruhe -dot- de writes:

>I have to warn you: The German Word spell checker is really bad. Here in
>Germany, I don't know anybody who uses it. Especially if there are many
>technical terms in the text, the spell checker has to pass on them. Perhaps
>it>'s ok for every-day language, but I don't think you have to check a
novel
>:-).

How is the English Word spell checker? Is there anybody using it?

Thanks, Peter, for the perspective. I've found that the Word spell checker
is just fine for making sure I haven't done something really stupid, where a
word just isn't a word anymore because I left off a letter. But it takes
awhile to get the dictionary customized to where you can really use it, and
no matter what, it isn't a substitute for patiently sitting down and going
through the material a page at a time before sending it to the printer.

Garret