Re: Word: Workgroup Templates Question

Subject: Re: Word: Workgroup Templates Question
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:39:10 -0700

Regarding environment variables, you can also see what's std. with Windows
this way:

*Control Panel* > *System* > *Advanced* > *Environment Variables*

>From there, it's easy to create either a new (individual) *User *var or a *
System* (i.e., all users on that system) var.

Google "if exist batch file example" to see how each PC might perform a
location test upon bootup. Then Google "autoexec.bat" so learn how this
batch file can be set up to automatically run at bootup.

A custom variable might be named *TemplateDir*, for example, and its value
could change based on the *IF EXIST* test. The AUTOEXEC.BAT file might
resemble this:

*IF EXIST* *{some location test known to be a constant}*
*SET* *TemplateDir* *=* *{drive letter "A"}*
*ELSE
SET* *TemplateDir* *=* *{drive letter "B"}*
**
You would then have established a %*TemplateDir%* system variable to use for
loacting the templates.

> Chris