Re: Writers job description/definition

Subject: Re: Writers job description/definition
From: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:45:15 +0200

Well, yes, it is true. I was ... overwhelmed a year ago and am still
overwhelmed. I don't have management skills and there is no clear job
description neither for him nor for me. The company has transitioned from
startup to a full-blown company. Procedures are unclear and it is a
difficult process. So yes, maybe this is a sick environment and yes, maybe I
am at fault and unfit, and yes, maybe the freelancer is not responsible for
what is going on, except that when you tell someone that there is a
deadline, I believe that this is pretty clear, isn't it?

I am complaining about the same freelancer who obviously does have
other positive sides. When I was bringing up the negative sides (thanks for
the report), I was actually wondering how to deal with the situation. I have
done something about it but the changes are slow.

Today, I followed somebody's good advice and asked him to look at my work.
Actually, he did a great job and I think that he liked the fact that I asked
him to look at my work. I presume nobody is perfect and yes, I have been
complaining about him. The job description was not clear to him since the
beginning. Neither are my responsibilities. My former boss quit last year
(because they would not let him move up) leaving a huge void behind him and
my new boss was at loss for a very long time. While some of you are quite
upset at me for venting, I am learning a lot on this forum.

I like my job. I know it well and it is very stimulating. However, I have
told my boss repeatedly that I wanted to quit because of the way things are
happening. So, I can't blame the freelancer for what is going on but I can
keep him responsible when I make specific and clear requests and he does not
stick by them. My expectations from the freelancer may be unrealistic at
times. However, many times, the rules are really clear and yes, he can be
employed for what he is good at, which is exactly what my boss intends to do
until we find an additional writer. Perhaps an additional writer will also
help alleviate the pressure.

So, yes, the problem is probably mine in many ways. I have decided to go to
my boss and ask him for a specific job description and a definition of my
responsibilities.

I have been thinking on and off about leaving this crazy place, only I keep
hoping that things will get better (beaten woman syndrome?). Thanks to
advice I got on this forum overtime, it got the strength to fight for
improvement and things are happening. They are slow but they are happening.

Thanks to all,

Sylvia

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList