Re: Writers job description/definition

Subject: Re: Writers job description/definition
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:23:19 -0800

Anyone who's done any amount of contract work has
probably had at least one experience where a client
was willing to pay a decent or even lavish rate for less
than the totality of what you could do for them do and
even discouraged you from doing more. But there's a big
difference between "ok, if that's all you want for the money,
fine," and enjoying an easy ride for a little while deciding
that that reduced contribution is all you're ever going to
provide for your rate even when a client wants the full
package. It sounds to me as if this freelancer has just
given up trying (assuming he ever did try harder) and
has made sneaking by without producing his stanard
work mode rather than just something to do until a
more satisfying opportunity presents itself.

OTOH, we haven't heard the freelancer's side of the
story. It's possible that he's working this way because
the client's entire development process is fuzzy and
he's concluded that SB and her SMEs have no idea
what they're doing and couldn't provide a straight
answer to any questions he might ask if he tried to
do more.

Gene Kim-Eng