Re: Writers job description/definition

Subject: Re: Writers job description/definition
From: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:09:49 +0200

Well, what Gene says is true in many ways but not for the reasons he thinks.
Until now, Management did not really appreciate the efforts involved
in technical writing but they are starting to have another perspective about
it. Until now, they have made it impossible to hire while the company is
growing at exponential rates and doing very well.
I knew the freelancer from a previous job and thought he was very
professional and was hoping he could help me with the work load.

However, while the company is growing in every other department, the
Management was hoping to cut the cost of the freelancer and have someone
in-house instead, just because of the financial issue. When things started
to become more and more difficult, I realized that maybe an in-house might
have more ownership and told my boss that they were right and that this is
what we needed to do.

The management did not clearly put me in charge of the freelancer. My
Manager just sent the freelancer back to me when the freelancer wanted to
discuss something with him and told me to deal with him.

What they are trying to do now is to actually help me hire an additional
writer (or they can do it and believe me, I would be happy if someone else
was taking over the responsibility and supervision. To me, it is yet another
headache that just adds up to my immense workload.)

I did say the magic words: "it's time to terminate this contractor and get a
replacement". My boss wants to be cautious and wants to make sure that I
will not be left with all the load so he wants to hire and then we will
slowly cut him off or keep him on staff for occasional jobs.