Re: Freelancing Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Freelancing Technical Writing
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:49:39 -0700 (PDT)

> I dunno, Al. When I was freelancing (and I'm back at it again
> </shameless plug>) I had a circle of friends and we all passed leads and
> jobs amongst each other when something came across our plate that we
> couldn't handle. I ended up getting a lot of jobs through friends, and
> vice versa.

John,

Passing around leads to friends when your plate is overloaded is a bit
different than offering critical client information to someone you don't
know. We have all networked and I have both passed leads and gotten leads
from friends. The difference is that I know the friend's capabilities and
htey know mine. If I get offered a freelance job that I cannot handle at
the moment, I would rather know that the person I suggest for the job will
produce quality material because their product will also ultimately affect
my long-term relationship with the client.

Al