RE: Freelancing Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Freelancing Technical Writing
From: iam nobody88 <iamnobody888 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com, anuj -dot- anujkapoor -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:18:33 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree with Paul on this. A lot of us worked really hard to get where we are, and technical writing is not exactly an industry that is easy to penetrate. It will take some time and effort, but you will find your niche. But definitely, this is not the way to do it.

Reminds me of a similar incident I had with another technical writer. I was setting up some in-house technical writing training for my employer then, and wanted to get some experts to give the newbies some advice on the profession. There was one person who was freelancing for some time that I knew. When I asked her to be part of her panel, first thing she said was, "Training? Wow, can you share your slides with me? I have a set of clients I plan to train one of these days." Good thing I had an official answer. "Sorry, I don't share proprietary material". A lot of hard work went into those 3-day training slides. I was not ready to share those with her, and she'll earn money from it?? I found other people to be in the panel. I never called her back.