Re: Freelancing Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Freelancing Technical Writing
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:02:11 -0700 (PDT)

> On Friday 21 July 2006 14:05, Al Geist wrote:
>> This just may be another case of someone using English as their second
>> language and writing to people who use English as their first language
>> and the problems that can arise in interpretation.
>
> At risk of starting a flame war. I would just like to say that the
message sent by Anuj was perfectly clear. I just think this is case of
reading a bit more than was intended into the message.

Hi Sean,

I wasn't trying to start a flame war, nor did I think I was reading more
into the message that was intended. Back when I was freelancing
full-time, I would never give a competitor, regardless of where they
lived, critical information about my clients. I don't know of any company
in the world that would foolish enough to give critical customer
information away to their competitors. However, I would gladly help
anyone with problems about tools or techniques, and still do. My coment
about ESL was that sometimes things may look perfectly clear to the
writer, but it may not be as clear to the reader. I believe this to be
the case, which is why I apologized to the original writer if my
interpretation of the original post was not as intended. However, in
reading some of the replies to the original post, I was not alone in my
interpretation. But Sean does bring up a point...would we have reacted
differently if the original writer was from Dallas, or Milwaukee, or
Eugene?

Al

Al