Re: Freelancing Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Freelancing Technical Writing
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:53:31 +0530

I was wondering if that exquisite irony was going to be caught... you
have a sharp eye, Al! :-)

However, I went back and re-read the original post. To me, it doesn't
seem to say "could you send me contact details for your clients,
please?". Rather, it offers to take on work from *you* if you're a
freelancer, even, at (I'm guessing) a much lower rate per hour than
you're charging your clients.
I think Sean Wheller read it the same way, since he asked this (rather
forward kind of) poster to send him his CV. As Sean said, he's a
central contracting agency who will interact with clients and
disribute work units and payment to people who work with him. (Feel
free to correct me, please!)

And lest this come as a shock to anyone (it was a surprise to at least
one member of this list, who was exchanging mails with me off-list)
:-) - I'm Indian, the Asian type - and I live and work in Goa, India.

Regards,
Ed.
On 7/21/06, Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:

Wade Courtney wrote:

> Those sites are there as is guru.com.
>
> The downside of these sites is that it is global, meaning that people in
> other countries with a lower cost of living and standard of living will
> low-ball your bid to almost nothing that could sustain a person in the
> US.

The irony here is the original poster was from India and asking U.S.
freelancers to provide contact information for their clients to probably
do just what Wade is saying. This is not a bash against India, or any
non-U.S. freelancer, but common business sense says don't give critical
information aware to competitors, regardless of where they live and
especially if they have the ability to seriously underbid you. We can
help with advice on how to solve problems, but not on how to take
customers and this appears to be that type of request.

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:
for home or office and note cards for all occasions)

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/edgar.b.dsouza%40gmail.com

To be or not to be. -- Shakespeare
To do is to be. -- Nietzsche
To be is to do. -- Sartre