Re: Marketing Yourself

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:56:45 -0700 (PDT)

> What does everyone think about [writing and design]
> skill sets, are they mutually exclusive?

Yes and no. Working for a magazine as a layout person
will require minimal writing ability, and working as a
freelance article writer will require pretty much no
layout skills. But, as a tech writer, usually both
skills come into play.

> Will it damage me to do a web page that has design
> samples?

I don't see how it would.

> Would it be "ok" to put the
> design work on the resume with the writing,
> especially since I write in
> conjuction with the design work?

I don't see why not. I tend to use custom resumes and
cover letters, but I usually have all strong skillsets
listed. Sometimes I just weigh some more than others,
depending on the position.

> I did a big (300 postcards) mailing for web design
> that was an amazing
> flop, I only received one follow-up but the contact
> was a cool lead and nothing materialized.

Mass mailings often flop. Web design is a hurting
market these days as well.

> These were all small business owners that did not
> have web sites and had businesses that would be
> greatly helped by the addition of a web site.

Sometimes it's best to give them a small site for
free. Something to get them on the web. Make the only
condition that you get to add your brand to the site
for your advertising purposes ("designed by..."). For
a free site, they should agree to this pretty readily.
You can stipulate a "5 pages free" deal and then
charge for maintenance and additional pages.

> Any advice for culling new clients since the
> postcard was a flop?

Never underestimate the power of your local newspaper.

> I also hesitate to put the PhD on my resume as the
> MFA in Writing has
> gotten negative responses. What do you think? The
> PhD is in English, not rhetoric.

Well, how does that song by The Hives go?... "Do
believe I told you so.. Alright!"

;)

Not to make light of this by any means (heard the song
on the drive in and was in my head). But, as I've
indicated before, I've seen the title "PhD" turn many
employers away, as they immediately draw the
conclusion that the PhD-holder will want more control
and power in the company than the open position will
provide. But, depending on the opportunity, I'd
include it. If it's a mid-level writing position, I'd
be hesitant. If a senior-level position, it might be
more appropriate (especially if with a large public
company).

Good luck!

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com