Re: Marketing Yourself

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:17:42 -0700

Michele Davis wrote:

Now, onto my questions. I do a combination of both writing and design. I've always tried to keep my web site and resume focused on writing, but since I do design I'm thinking perhaps I should do a web page for that and bury it so it isn't easily accessible. What does everyone think about those two skill sets, are they mutually exclusive? Will it damage me to do a web page that has design samples?

I consider the areas complementary, and I have always marketed myself for both writing and design. I've found that many clients need both, but aren't willing to pay two people for them. The design work helps keeps me employed during lean times, and is often more challenging than the technical writing. For pure technical writing, I've marketed the design as an extra that increases usability and helps the company to promote its brand.

Would it be "ok" to put the design work on the resume with the writing, especially since I write in conjuction with the design work?

I'd suggest maintaining two separate resumes, but with some mention of both skill sets on both. It is mainly a matter of which one is emphasized.

I did a big (300 postcards) mailing for web design that was an amazing flop, I only received one follow-up but the contact was a cool lead and nothing materialized. I did make follow up calls but got nowhere. These were all small business owners that did not have web sites and had businesses that would be greatly helped by the addition of a web site. I don't know if it was the economy or that they didn't *get* my postcard as it was a sushi reference and Minnesotans aren't exactly savvy about food outside of the "hot dish." Altho' we do have numerous sushi restaurants... Any advice for culling new clients since the postcard was a flop?

Networking has always been more successful for me than mailouts or cold calls. It requires a larger investment of time, and is psychologically more challenging, but it definitely has better results. However, don't go to networking events held by writers. Go to seminars and gatherings for specific technologies, especially ones in which you have experience, and talk to executives.

I also hesitate to put the PhD on my resume as the MFA in Writing has gotten negative responses. What do you think? The PhD is in English, not rhetoric.

There is the problem of being considered over-qualified for bread-and-butter types jobs. However, I put my English MA on it, and I never hear any negative responses. Of course, I do have a twist: my teaching experience notes that I taught fourth year university without a Phd. on the strength of how my thesis was received (it was published, and nominated for several awards).

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Some are here working on a passage to heaven
And others they can't carry that load
A few are left singing the blues on Purgatory Road"
- Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Purgatory Road"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com