Marketing Yourself

Subject: Marketing Yourself
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:02:49 -0500

Hello all,

I know some of you are independents or own your own company. Here is a smidgen about me first. I have a PhD in English and have been self-employed (with an S-Corp) my entire career. I started out in 1988 as a reporter for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and my cousin Mark, who at that time was very well-known in the technology field and a prodigy (heck, he's my cousin, I have no idea why he was so popular) in the computing field for some program he wrote. I was a Mac person and knew a lot about the publishing process having used Atex machines and stuff like the Compugraphic. My cousin told me I could make way better money if I went into computer writing. He was right. I moved into Mac training and then learned the PC from the ground up.

For years I did a combo of tech writing, training and design. GE Capital Fleet Services gave me an award for excellent use of typography in the early 90's, but writing had always been my passion.

I now usually get work through referrals, from my agent, friends, or even ex-coworkers. I just had a contract where I didn't even have to interview because the guy remembered me from Spanlink, an IVR company, that I worked for ~7 years ago.

Now, onto my questions. I do a combination of both writing and design. I've always tried to keep my web site and resume focused on writing, but since I do design I'm thinking perhaps I should do a web page for that and bury it so it isn't easily accessible. What does everyone think about those two skill sets, are they mutually exclusive? Will it damage me to do a web page that has design samples? Would it be "ok" to put the design work on the resume with the writing, especially since I write in conjuction with the design work?

I did a big (300 postcards) mailing for web design that was an amazing flop, I only received one follow-up but the contact was a cool lead and nothing materialized. I did make follow up calls but got nowhere. These were all small business owners that did not have web sites and had businesses that would be greatly helped by the addition of a web site. I don't know if it was the economy or that they didn't *get* my postcard as it was a sushi reference and Minnesotans aren't exactly savvy about food outside of the "hot dish." Altho' we do have numerous sushi restaurants... Any advice for culling new clients since the postcard was a flop?

I also hesitate to put the PhD on my resume as the MFA in Writing has gotten negative responses. What do you think? The PhD is in English, not rhetoric.

Thanks everyone, and you can certainly reply offline. All help is appreciated.

--
Michele

"I've learned that sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand." Andy Rooney
www.krautgrrl.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com