Re: Marketing Yourself

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:11:48 -0400

Goober Writer wrote:

Will it damage me to do a web page that has design
samples?

I don't see how it would.

I do.

A cautionary note: If you are going to show design samples, have someone who is competent to judge advise you on their quality and presentation. The fact that you have done some design work does not mean that your samples will look professional to an experienced buyer.

Take a look at some of the portfolios available on creativemoonlighter.com. They are by no means all of the same quality, but some of them are well organized and give you a definite feel for what the person can do, what their rendering style is, etc. Most seem to be saying, "this is _my_ style; if you like it, contact me," rather than, "I can fake anything and I'm desperate." One techwr-l member asked me to review a personal Web site that included both writing résumé and graphic samples; and the impression I got of the graphic samples was definitely in the latter category, which I found colored my opinion of the person's professionalism in all media (and this was entirely unfair, because I know the person is an excellent tech writer).

If what you are selling is your ability to lay out a page, you might, rather than throwing up a bunch of samples, just consider applying your skill to the layout of your site and your résumé. Offer a highly designed PDF version of the résumé if you think that will impress a particular prospect.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com