We are Contractors: Resistance is futile

Subject: We are Contractors: Resistance is futile
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:01:11 -0500

Greetings!

As some of you may have noticed from a previous post, my contract with my
current client is almost up, so I'm back out on the market for some new
work.

However, I'm running up against quite a bit of resistance against working
with contractors. Some of the people I've contacted seem interested until
the topic of permanent or contractor comes up, they state that they're not
interested in my services after all. I've had one guy even stand me up for
an interview, making me wait an hour before announcing he decided to cancel
the interview! Argh.

Maybe I'm going at this all wrong. Am I approaching the wrong people? Am I
using the wrong medium? What I usually do is I find an ad for a technical
writer in the paper and I email them a note and my cv. I also send my cv to
companies that I think might need a technical writer.

How do you other technical writing contractors find your clients? Do you
send them a brochure? Do you send them a cv only? Do you make cold calls?

I really don't want to go back to being a permanent employee. I like the
contracting life (when I'm working, that is) and the money's great. But if
it's a choice between contracting and selling off my kidneys to pay the
rent...
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=