Re: OK?

Subject: Re: OK?
From: Iain Harrison <iharriso -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:21:38 GMT

Cassie Parker asked:

Does anyone have any history on the word (or acronym) OK? I've seen
it shown as:

OK and okay

Is there a time you would use one rather than the other?

Yup. I would use OK every time, and okay never.

OK is an abbreviation of the initials of a corrupt form of 'all
correct'. Okay is a phonetic spelling of the abbreviation, and I can't
see anywhere that it would be preferable. I have certainly never used
it, though I have edited it out of other people's documents!

Iain Harrison
iharriso -at- sctcorp -dot- com