Re: URGENT Resume Quandry - Advise me(verb) Please

Subject: Re: URGENT Resume Quandry - Advise me(verb) Please
From: Ann Mackenzie <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:38:54 EST

<< Hi All,
I'm 'technically' self-employed but for the last six years I've basically
worked for one company. In that time I've also undertaken a wide range of
ongoing 'contracts' for other companies - ISO9000, Users Guides,
programming, technical support, web-page design etc. My problem is that when
I list everything out potential employers find it confusing because it looks
as if I have six co-current jobs. Any suggestions?

Goeff -

I use a skills resume rather than one that lists dates and position titles.
This means a brief description of each project, without any dates. I don't
list all my projects, only major ones that show variety, creativity, depth,
etc. Above the list of projects I list hardware and software with which I'm
familiar.

This method of presenting information gives potential clients a quick look at
skills, which is what they really want to know about. Sample pages from
interesting projects round out my material; the interview does the rest.

Ann
Ann Mackenzie: AnnMacknz -at- aol -dot- com
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc. in Milwaukee, WI, USA
Specializing in software, engineering, and policies & procedures.
Know of any interesting projects that require online writing without
already having the experience? I want to learn that next.