Re: Ergonomic Input Device Suggestions....

Subject: Re: Ergonomic Input Device Suggestions....
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:32:13 -0800

From: Pepexx <Pepexx -at- AOL -dot- COM>

>Lately I have been experiencing some discomfort when using the mouse. The
>pain has been mainly in the center of my hand when I click the buttons.
>I also get knots in my neck and shoulders even though I look straight at
>the monitor.

Sun provided an ergonomic study of my work area when I had
similar problems. Here is the diagnosis:

The top of the screen should be at eye level. I've never understood why
many people place books or other objects under their monitor to
elevate it. If your monitor is on your computer, place the computer
on edge out of the way or replace it with a tower case on the floor.

They installed an adjustable keyboard tray with mousepad attached.
My mouse forearm is parallel to the floor and my palm rests on a pad.
My elbow is on the arm of my chair. The keyboard and mouse are about
4 inches below the desktop. Works for me.

An ergonomic chair fitted to your body really helps.

Good luck. No one should have to work in pain.

Bob Morrisette