Re: staff consultants

Subject: Re: staff consultants
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:02:28 -0800

From: Tracey Moore <temoore -at- mail -dot- jax -dot- bellsouth -dot- net>

>To be or not to be. . .

>I have been working as a consultant for the past year and a half. I love
>consulting, well I love the freedom part. Alas, I am returning to the employee
>world. The reason? I can't afford to continue consulting. So my advice to
>anyone wanting to consult full-time:

>Have at the very least three months living expenses saved! You will be
>unemployed for periods at a time, it's a fact! Take into consideration the
>following expenses when you set your fees:

deleted remainder

Good advice, but it makes a big difference where you are. In Silicon
Valley and a few other parts of the country, a consultant with a track
record and a good agent can work 365 days a year and still be turning
down assignments. I left consulting three years ago and still receive one or
calls from agents every week. $45 an hour (a reasonable rate) translates
into $90,000 a year (if you take two weeks off), enough to pay the expenses
Tracey listed. Some agents offer limited benefits.

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- sabu -dot- Eng -dot- sun -dot- com