Staff Consultants

Subject: Staff Consultants
From: Kevin Scott Feeman <kevinf -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:21:04 -0700

All, I guess I wasn't very clear on the question that I had. I wrote:

I have a question that is similar. Right now, I am working for a
company as a consultant. The contract I was working on ended
about a month ago and they have yet found me a position. However, I am
getting paid on the bench. My question is this: For
those who have worked at a company as a main employee and at other
times in their careers, as a consultant, which do you like best? Any
replies will be helpful.

I am not an independent consultant. I work for a specific company that
pays me bench time while they search for a position for me. I am getting
paid the same salary as I did when I was on a contract and actually working
to earn my wage. I have NO desire to go as a full time self-employed
consultant. I was thinking about looking for a position with another
company where I would no longer work for the consulting company. I would
not be a technical communicator consultant, I would be a technical writer
as an employee for this company. My main question that I wanted advice on
was from people who were in a similar position, where they have worked for
a specific consulting company and as a regular employee for a company.
Which do you like best: working as a consultant with a consulting company
or as a regular employee at a company? What are the pros and cons? What
is more beneficial to me in the long run? Please reply privately and I
will post a summary if there is sufficient interest.

Kevin Feeman