Student needs Interview from Technical Writer

Subject: Student needs Interview from Technical Writer
From: Linh '$horty' Ly <shorty -at- HEAVYGEAR -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 20:56:49 -0600

Hello all,

My name is Linh Ly and I am a tenth grade high school student located in
Houston, Texas. I am currently researching a career for my English class
(Career Day), and I have chosen to seek my profession as a technical writer.

My career project requires an interview of a person who works in
the profession I am researching, in this case, technical writers. If this
isn't too much, I would appreciate your time if any would fill in this
interview. The
interview will be about your occupation as a technical writer (what you do,
interests in the field, working conditions, etc.).

I have emailed many technical writers for interviews, but so far all I have
contacted are very busy and do not have the time. At my last attempt, I
have come to this mailing list (which I should have done before). My
deadline is due on TUESDAY NIGHT (I will have it turned in Wednesday in
school).

The interview will only take about 15 minutes. I know a
technical writer is very busy on meeting deadlines, etc., but I hope to be
lucky this time.

For anyone who works as a technical writer, please do this interview. If
this doesn't seems too much, please send me your postal address also. Why
the postal address? The career project also requires a "Thank You" letter
to be sent. I think this is pointless, but at least I'll give you my
graditude on paper than an email file. :)

Interview
----------------------------
Name _____________ Occupation _______________
# of years in field ______________________

1. Briefly describe what you do in your job.

2. How or why did you become interested in your field?

3. What do you like most about your job?

4. What do you like least about your job?

5. What has most surprised you about your work?

6. Do you see changes in your field in the future? If so, please elaborate.

7. Do you see a "future" for today's young workers in your field? If so,
please elaborate on that "future".

8. Describe the working conditions of your job. (hours, environment,
location, boss's expectations, etc.)

9. Since you began your work on this field, how much extra training have
you experienced? Or how often do you need to have additional training to
keep up in your field?

10. If you could change one area of your work or working conditions, what
would you change?

11. What qualities do you think are important for a young person seeking
employment with you?

12. Is there anything else about your job you'd like to tell me? If so, what?

Thanks for you time.

Linh Ly
hangly -at- flash -dot- net

Please respond because I have a deadline to catch (January 27). Finding an
interview is not very easy...

Thanks for your time.