Re: Digital Printing?

Subject: Re: Digital Printing?
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:47:20 -0500

Jennifer Jelinek wrote:

> I'm in the process of reexamining some of our printing options for
> four-color documents, and I just got a letter from a vendor asking to
> discuss digital printing options, touting it as the wave of the future and
> the better alternative to offset printing. My understanding is that this
> process bypasses films and plates, and prints directly from file to
> finished product.

SNIP
> The one "con" I've encountered is that because the product doesn't go to
> films first, you don't have same capacity for proofs and color correction
> that you do with offset printing. Is this the case?

SNIP

> Jennifer

> Jennifer Jelinek
> Marketing Services Manager
> Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI
> jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com

Jennifer,

I don't know about the color correction issue, but why would you need a
proof? I would think with digital printing you could get the printer to
run off a couple sample copies for a minimal fee in lieu of a proof. It
wouldn't be a proof, it would be the real thing. Am I missing something?
--
Tom Johnson
Technical Writer

business mailto:johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal mailto:tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com
My opinions are still my own.