Digital Printing? -Reply

Subject: Digital Printing? -Reply
From: Carol Van Natta <CVANNATT -at- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 07:29:29 -0700

I'd check out Publish magazine -- they have an extensive
web site, too -- for articles and reviews of just this kind of
thing. http://www.publish.com/

>>> Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
12/16/97 7:05 am >>>
I'm in the process of reexamining some of our printing
options for
four-color documents, and I just got a letter from a vendor
asking to
discuss digital printing options, touting it as the wave of the
future and
the better alternative to offset printing. My understanding is
that this
process bypasses films and plates, and prints directly from
file to
finished product.

Does anyone know of any good, reputable resources (i.e.
that aren't trying
to "sell" the method) on digital printing? I would also be very
interested
to here pros/cons from anyone who has experience with this
printing method.
The one "con" I've encountered is that because the product
doesn't go to
films first, you don't have same capacity for proofs and color
correction
that you do with offset printing. Is this the case?

Thanks for your input. If this is off-topic (not sure how many
tech writers
deal directly w/ printers) please feel free to contact me
off-line.

Jennifer

Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI
jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com

Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g.,
SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html,
http://www.dejanews.com/
Subjects: JOB:, QUESTION:, SUMMARY:, ANNOUNCE:, or
similar.
Send all list-related questions or problems to