Re: JPL Editing Method

Subject: Re: JPL Editing Method
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 22:24:57 -0600

Colleagues,

Ron Rhodes referred to the JPL Levels of Edit as a method. The Levels of
Edit book I have is not a method, it is just a description of a heirarchy of
levels of complexity. There are seven levels. I think someone mentioned
nine levels, but my copy has only seven.

The simplest edit is really nothing more than production coordination. All
the editor is expected to do is see that the document is printed and
distributed.

The most complex level is the full-blown substantive edit with everything
included. This includes checking conformance to good language (grammar,
syntax, spelling), good publication practices, corporate style, etc.

The levels in between are varying shades of gray.

If you go out and purchace the Levels of Edit volume expecting it to include
a methodology for editing, you will be disappointed. But it is a really
great tool to use in defining a scope of work when you have to submit
estimates or bid competitively. It serves as the basis for your "contract"
with the author. When you establish a level of edit, you let your customer
know exactly what you will do and how much it will cost (assuming you have
accurate cost data for your organization). It also lets your customer
accept your proposed scope of work in advance. No surprizes later on.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com