Re: JPL Editing Method

Subject: Re: JPL Editing Method
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:46:17 +1100

The "Levels of Edit" concept was developed by Mary Jane Buehler at JPL
way back when. I don't believe she or JPL meant the term to suggest
different levels of complexity, but rather different levels of
engagement with the publishing project. I prefer to think of the levels
as different perspectives, or -- to adopt a little post-modernist jargon
-- perceptual and discoursal narratives (ouch) which allow the editor to
focus on different aspects of the text and the project at different
times. The problem with an approach that doesn't adopt something at
least vaguely akin to the "Levels" model is that you try to think of
everything all the time. In a Levels-type approach, you focus on one set
of issues at a time, thereby (in principle, and usually in fact)
achieving a higher success rating within that set of issues.

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia