Re: QUESTION: Corporate videos and technical writing.

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Corporate videos and technical writing.
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 08:55:12 -0600

The previuos tech writer in my position helped write and produce an
installation video for one of our products. The results were very
positive...let's face it, there are certain people who either aren't going
to read a manual or who are just very visual "watch and do" type of
learners. I don't think a video can replace a manual, but it can certainly
be a great added resource, especially in terms of initial set-up,
installation, etc.

Our video wasn't too "fancy" or "arty", and it wasn't too expensive,
either. For initial production, we spent under $10,000, using some internal
and some external resources, and mass copying isn't much more expensive
than producing a manual. And the expense was more than covered by the
increase in customer satisfaction and decrease in technical support needed.

Jennifer

Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI
jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!