Re: QUESTION: Corporate videos and technical writing.

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Corporate videos and technical writing.
From: mmarkley <mmarkley -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:18:07 -0700

At Micron, we have begun incorporating short video clips into our HTML
documents to help illustrate the content of the of the document itself.
Because our documentation is intranet-based, and because digital video
files tend to be large (understatement), we try to keep these clips
under 60 seconds. This means we must really make good use of the time;
in fact, the video could not stand on its own--it is strictly a
supplement to the text.

Our primary limitation for using on-line video is (1) the size of the
files and (2) the production time. For example, a 30 second video clip
that displays in a 250 pixel x 250 pixel area can range from 4Mb to 6Mb,
and a person will need to spend several hours filming and editing it
before it's digitized.

We have not run into the argument that video is too "artsy," but the
limitations of intranet-based video do not allow us to include any extra
glitz--these video clips need to be short and to-the-point, or else it
would take our audience too long to download them.

But going back to your question... If the content of your videos is
technical, I would not draw a line between video script writing and
technical writing. And if your organization doesn't want to dedicate
resources to create fluffy videos, then use your skills in technical
communication to create something that is clear and concise but just
happens to be in the form of a video rather than a printed manual or an
on-line help file -- skip the fancy stuff that they think is "artsy."

Good luck,

Mike

Mike Markley
mmarkley -at- micron -dot- com