More trademark issues

Subject: More trademark issues
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:33:08 -0600

In the midst of this trademark discussion, I just got a weird directive (in
part) from our former parent company. We were owned by one company, and
sold to another, but the company that bought us negotiated rights to our
former parent company's logo for 5 years (for use as a brand name). So we
use their logo and put a registered trademark symbol behind it whenever we
use it.

So today I get a call from our former parent company's marketing comm.
department. They tell me that the colors I use with the logo on our website
are not "official" and thus cannot be used (the logo should be black and
red; on our website it's blue and red). Fine, I can buy that. But I was
also told that everytime I use the name of the company in text, it should
be capitalized. I've been consciously moving away from this style because
it's so distracting. Is there some legal basis for this requirement, or is
it just an arbitrary style? And if it is a style, do I have a
responsibility to abide by it since they're no longer our parent company?

Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI
jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com