Re: Financial Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Financial Technical Writing
From: Wally Glassett <wallyg -at- THEGRID -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 15:46:59 -0700

JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-19 17:06:09 EDT, sea -at- netcom -dot- com writes:
>
> << It also pays beautifully, for those with the
> >right qualifications. A friend of mine with a Harvard MBA claimed
> she
> never
> >charged less than $100 an hour.>
>
> Do you know what the "right" qualifications are? Or where someone
> could
> find them? >>
> Well, in-depth financial knowledge would be a given. For most people,
> this
> means an MBA. But I'm sure there are some amateur investors out there
> who are
> pretty knowledgeable too.

Dear List Members:

Nearly two years ago I interviewed with a large, very well known mutual
fund company in the Bay Area for a writing position that also involved
financial analysis, and I can assure you that the rate of pay we
discussed wasn't even half of $100 per hour. I have also interviewed for
some other financial documentation/writing projects in the Bay Area and
the hourly rates were only (?) on par with the rates for software and
computer documentation jobs.

So, the person referred to probably had some other qualifications beyond
writing skills/experience that allowed her to command that kind of rate.

Regards,

Wally