Re: scanners/Philip Hellerman

Subject: Re: scanners/Philip Hellerman
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:25:24 -0600

1. If the number of documents is high, consider an outside vendor
with
high speed scanning equipment.

Or a scanner with a sheet feeder attachment.

2. There is no such thing as scanning into MS/Word format. Bypass
Word
and take a look at Adobe Acrobat.

Guess that means I'll have to stop doing that, hmm? Any OCR software can
scan into Word format. Advantage: smaller resultant file size.
Disadvantage: needs an editing pass from a human.

We've worked with Agfa, Microtek and HP. HP is my least favorite, because I
can't seem to get their software to get out of my way. It's always behaving
as if it knows what I want to do better than I do. When I agree with it,
it's good, but when we disagree about how to scan an image, it's very
difficult to get it to try it my way. Also, it had an unfortunate tendency
to change the contrast in mid-scan.

The Agfa cost twice what the Microtek did and didn't deliver an appreciable
difference in quality.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224