Re: Financial Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Financial Technical Writing
From: Smokey Lynne L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:01:16 -0400

Wally is right on target. I led a publication support group for the 4th
largest bank in the U.S., and his statement about normal salary rates is
right on. We were centered in the heart of the IS portion of the
corporation, and it was broken down into internal education, tech.
education, marketing, systems support, software development, management
reporting, HR, and every little facet or pool about which one could think
for the industry.

Depending on the department budget, writers averaged between $28-45,000
yearly. If one had a dual management role, the salary would increase
from $3,000 to $5,000. Financial industry drives business analyst
training and project methodology (from the business side - not document
publications side). Though they are similar, pubs support is the
after-fact consideration, and constant daily abends or events lean
towards writing staff who are extremely flexible and tolerant. And
being a consultant and information architect speaker to writing groups,
folks have shared they are usually in the $20 to $35 hourly range in
their financial job roles.

The high-end writers are few and far between who support projects. For
we all know, projects can be axed, changed, and placed on hold at any
minute. Upper management have shared with me their feelings lean towards
a solid in-house writing staff. Now we, as TCs, need to educate them to
their worth!

live from the bare's den.......

Smokey