Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:38:58 -0700

Phil Hellerman wrote:

> I am curious. Should technical writers, whose normal responsibilities
> are within an IS organization, take offense when asked to write or edit
> marketing type articles and brochures? Is it proper that writers say,
> "I'm a technical writer and only write user manuals! I can't write
> maketing material."

Phil,

It depends. Do you feel you have a flair for marketing? Your answer seems to be "No."

I have seen a lot of material about "Marketing Communication", or marcom for short (I
think), lately in STC publications. Seems that it's another direction some technical
writers are taking.

Where I work, the Sales/Marketing people WRITE their materials, but occasionally ask me
(as well as various mid-level managers) to review it and make comments/changes. I
usually limit my contributions to editing for clarity, paralellism, etc., but I have
been known to make a few content-related suggestions.

Good luck.

--
Kim Keegan aka keegan -at- explorers -dot- com
Visit my homepage at http://www2.explorers.com/~keegan/