Looking for Copyright info

Subject: Looking for Copyright info
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 08:42:27 -0700

Hello fellow TechWhirlers,

I have a dilemma. It is regarding copyright. There is someone in my organization who
feels that it's perfectly ok to "steal" graphics (GIF files) from other web sites for
use on a site we are creating for a client. I'm not comfortable with this - isn't it a
violation of copyright? In other words, if a web page contains a copyright statement,
doesn't it cover all contents (text and graphics) on that page.

Management doesn't think it's a big issue. I disagree. And there's always the STC
Ethical Guidelines...

I have poked around a bit on the Library of Congress / U.S. Copyright Office web site:

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

But I'm having a hard time finding anything that specifically covers electronic artwork.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? If you know the answer, I would
like to hear it, but I also would appreciate any info on where to find it "officially"
so I can present it to management.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Kim Keegan aka keegan -at- explorers -dot- com
Visit my homepage at http://www2.explorers.com/~keegan/