Re: Interesting thing from WORD-PC list re MS copyright of screen captures

Subject: Re: Interesting thing from WORD-PC list re MS copyright of screen captures
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:17:25 -0700

David Jones/KSBEISD wrote:

> Found this on the WORD-PC discussion list, and got wondering. Probably most of
> us software documentors us screen captures. Does anyone ask permission from the
> vendor to use screen captures in our docs? Any expert opinions?

Yes, we ask for permission. For instance, as an ISP, we created Netscape
installation/setup docs for our clients. We used screen shots from its setup wizard
with the data needed for OUR system. I found a page on Netscape's web site that
specifically discussed use of screen shots/copyright material. It included an e-mail
address for the person in charge of "granting permission." All it took was an e-mail
message and faxing the samples I wanted to use. I must say they were very easy to work
with.

I wouldn't recommend using any copyrighted material without asking (and obtaining)
permission.

--
Kim Keegan aka keegan -at- explorers -dot- com
Visit my homepage at http://www2.explorers.com/~keegan/