Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Responsibilities
From: "Theresa P. Bui" <info -at- POLYMERTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:01:08 -0700

Williams Diane wrote:

> I am curious. Should technical writers, whose normal responsibilities
> are within an IS organization, take offense when asked to write or edit
> marketing type articles and brochures? Is it proper that writers say,
> "I'm a technical writer and only write user manuals! I can't write
> maketing material."

I am in the opposite situation. My title is Technical Writer, but all my material is
marcom related (brochures, press releses, etc.). There have been many times when my
boss has asked me to write and/or edit material that is not marketing related
whatsoever, such as spec sheets and technical data handouts

I enjoy doing the "more technical" writing as well. It forces me to practice my
audience analysis skills and different types of interviewing approaches. I approach the
request as additional and diverse experience for me!