Re: Win95

Subject: Re: Win95
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 14:29:14 EDT

Matt Ion said:

>And, dear tech-whirlers, documentation being secondary to actual product (no
>point in having a manual without the product), the technical writing field is
>about to become obsolete, as technology companies follow IBM's lead in
>dispensing of anything that isn't their primary concern.

I'm guessing that Matt had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he
said that. But, as I often say, "The world is turning into a parody of itself."

About two and a half years ago, GE Aircraft Engines started to make noises
like that. "We're going to get down to our core business." Some months
later, we were hearing that "Our core business is to design and build jet
engines." So far so good, until the day they told tech pubs "Our core business
is to design and build jet engines, not to produce tech manuals." A department
of about 100 was sliced down to a department of about 25 within a matter of
a few months.

Yep. It can happen.