Re: Most Needed Programming Languages

Subject: Re: Most Needed Programming Languages
From: Rick Waugh <rick_waugh -at- MINDLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 05:57:20 LCL

In article <m0skhfA-000D0WC -at- knuth -dot- mtsu -dot- edu> Sushil Oswal <oswal -at- knuth -dot- mtsu -dot- edu>
writes:
>From: Sushil Oswal <oswal -at- knuth -dot- mtsu -dot- edu>
>Subject: Most Needed Programming Languages
>Date: 22 Aug 1995 05:32:07 -0000

>Several netters have written to me for the results of my survey on
>programming languages in demand. Here are the major posts I received:

>I've looked into this for my own purposes, as well (to most effectively
>spend my post-baccalaureate education dollars--that is, on the once $13
>but now $50 per unit classes). In my search for the most designer
>language, I found that C++ was most *definitely* the most commonly
>mentioned in job advertisements for technical writers. I expect to double
>my salary once I get a certificate in programming. If I had a second
>bachelor's in programming, I'm certain I could "name my price."

>Start looking in the job posting sections of the usenet groups (I,
>personally, used ba.jobs.offered). I expect that you'll come to the same
>conclusion.

Maybe it's the most popular, but not necessarily the best paying. There are as
many C programmers out there now as their were COBOL programmers 10 years ago.
As a matter of fact, our company has been having a tough time find people who
know COBOL and IMS. Large businesses are trying to get away from people coding
3GL languages. They are time consuming to build and support.

If you want to make money, learn Lotus Notes, SAP, or ORACLE. The demand for
these things is huge, and the money being paid much more than for C .
programmers.