Re: Win95

Subject: Re: Win95
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- FIRSTGRAPHICS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 12:33:37 -0800

-- [ From: Stuart Reynolds * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> >And, dear tech-whirlers, documentation being secondary to actual product
(no
> >point in having a manual without the product), the technical writing
field is
> >about to become obsolete, as technology companies follow IBM's lead in
> >dispensing of anything that isn't their primary concern.

> About two and a half years ago, GE Aircraft Engines started to make noises
like
> that. "We're going to get down to our core business." Some months later,
we
> were hearing that "Our core business is to design and build jet engines."
So
> far so good, until the day they told tech pubs "Our core business is to
design
> and build jet engines, not to produce tech manuals." A department of about
100
> was sliced down to a department of about 25 within a matter of a few
months.

My only comment on this.. surprise surprise, is that tech writing isn't
limited to "equipment" maufacturing industry. What about lessee, now then.
Insurance companies, software companies.. you STILL need installation
instructions, even if the rest of it is online.. lets get things into a bit
more perspective here... There IS a bigger picture, than just "equipment"
manufacturers. And, as for IBM "leading", how many times have they tried to
do that and got nowhere with it.
--
stuartr -at- firstgraphics -dot- com
I NEVER make mistakes...Typogarphicl errors occasionally..