Re: Win95

Subject: Re: Win95
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 20:20:01 PDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995 12:25:15 -0400 you wrote:

> regarding the fact that OS/2 is the market leader
> in enterprise and commercial accounts and that IBM's primary OS/2
> focus is to maintain that leadership. The consumer and standalone
> desktop markets for OS/2 are growing but are secondary to our
> emphasis on client-server applications.

.. which means that, just as IBM is dropping the home OS/2 market, Microsoft
is dropping Windows NT, Office, and all other products that are secondary to
its primary interest, Windows 95. Likewise, Ford will be dropping all model
lines secondary to its latest 'innovation', the Windstar mini-van. Campbell's
will no longer produce anything but its top seller, Homestyle Chicken Noodle
soup. And those two dozen or so different Barbie models, along with their
Ken, Stacy, and other 'secondary' friends, will be put on the action-figure
unemployment line as Mattel concentrates all its resources on developing the
basic Barbie for the business market.

And, dear tech-whirlers, documentation being secondary to actual product (no
point in having a manual without the product), the technical writing field is
about to become obsolete, as technology companies follow IBM's lead in
dispensing of anything that isn't their primary concern.

>Making sense now?

Never. :-)

>As this whole mess is considerably off-topic, I'd be happier if we could
>continue the discussion off the list. Please send any responses to my
>address only, not the list.

Once I came up with a way to correlate this to technical writing, I just had
to add the list to the CC:s. Sorry... Michael, you can reply directly to me
now if you want :)

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.nextlevel.com/nlp/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446