Re: Left Margins for e:mail messages

Subject: Re: Left Margins for e:mail messages
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 12:13:00 PDT

Don wrote, quoting a collegue:

> "Please set your left margin large enough (10 or 15) so that the
> printed version can be three-hole punched without removing any
of
>the
> letters in the body copy. I can then save the printed copy in a
> three-ring binder for future reference."

> I currently save my printed copies in a file folder, and haven't
>been
> concerned with this problem. I have, however, changed my left
>margin
> because I think her request is valid, and it also makes e:mail
> messages easier to read on the computer monitor when the text is
not
> butted up against the left side of the screen. We use margins on
>the
> printed page, why not on the electronic page? No response is
> necessary!

Don:
I think this would be a good idea if we all had the same mail programs. The
message you sent came to through my mailer with some of the words wrapping
into your intended "margin". Remember what you send ain't always what we
get!
My mailer does not give me the ability to set margins, so I would have to
type space, space, space, space, space, space at the beginning of every line
and it would throw my word wrap feature off!
I actually do print out messages and save them in binders (blush) but oddly
enough MS Mail, which displays your message so inelegantly on my screen,
will add a margin in when printing.
BTW, you know those lovely little greater than signs UNIX mailers add to the
quoted text? I have to add mine by hand! I experimented with other
methods, got complaints from the list, and decided it was worth the effort
to add them by hand. When you have a margin, it makes it more difficult for
me in adding the greater than signs, so the above is not exactly what you
sent with added greater than signs. I ended up deleting a space here or
there in the process of adding the signs.
Good idea; impossible to implement.
Thanks.
Rosie Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
"To be confident is to act in faith."
Bernard Bynion