Left Margins for e:mail messages

Subject: Left Margins for e:mail messages
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <evans -at- ANSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 13:48:49 EDT

Personally, I believe that anybody who prints out email messages
for storage in either a binder *or* a folder has been influenced
by the devil. =^> Electronic mail was sent electronically, and
should be kept that way. I have never seen a mail reader that
does not let you store messages to text files for later
retrieval. Not only do you save a tree, it's easier to search
them for keywords and subjects later.

> We use margins on the printed page, why not on the electronic
> page?

Because it dirties the text stream. Not all mail readers demand
that your window be 80 characters in width, and will re-wrap text
lines that are too long or too short for the window. If you add
tabs and spaces to the beginning of every line, your message will
be almost completely unreadable in these mail readers.

If somebody wants to print out their mail messages, let them add
their *own* margins!

+-----