Re: File names in text

Subject: Re: File names in text
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 06:56:01 MST

re: How to treat file names in ASCII text

I agree with Bill in that I would prefer seeing file names in
all caps rather than just an initial cap. Initial caps are
rather annoying and does make one Wonder if it were just a typo.

One thing Bill said that I do not agree with--and I may have
simply misunderstood his comment--is that he will sometimes
capitalize *and* bold file names. IMO, this is blatant overkill.
There is hardly ever a reason to compound emphasis on text.

I don't think it has anything to do with grammar, as Bill
mentioned. It is more along the lines of misunderstanding/misuse
of typography or poor style choices. (I'm no expert in either
typography or style, but I *have* read extensively on both
subjects.)

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=
=*= =*= =*=

=========included text:
Karen Kay commented that when she was documenting programs she used capital
letters to identify file names.

And Bill Hartzer added--
> Karen, you're half right, in my opinion. If you capitalize
just the first letter of the file name, your reader tends to
think that it's just a typo and probably ignores it anyway.
Personally, I have gotten accustomed to writing filenames in
ALL CAPS. This still solves Karen's (karenk -at- netcom -dot- com) issue
of not being able to use another font because it is in ASCII
text.
> Personally, I CAPITALIZE all the letters in, for
example: FILE.TXT, and also, if feasible, I will also put the
filename in bold type. In no case will I ever change a font
in the middle of a sentence! I WILL put it in caps, bold, or
italics. I find it utterly annoying to capitalize just the
first letter of a word (be it a filename or not) in the middle
of a sentence. It's just bad grammar. Do you agree?????