Re: Contracting to start with

Subject: Re: Contracting to start with
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 06:26:18 PST

Marc Santaroce said:

>Karen, IMHO you should not mix apples and oranges. If they like your work,
>they will bring up full-time status (and you will be in a better bargaining
>position).

This is not the way the game is played. "Contract with a possibility
of converting to full-time" is the way many companies hire people. It's
also the way a manager can get someone on board whom HIS manager is skeptical
of. It forces acquiescence out of stuffy, prejudiced, tentative,
opinionated, or dithering upper managers, because it's hard to say
no to, "Let's give her a try, If she works out, we'll bring her on
full-time. If she doesn't, we'll throw her out in the snow." Bad
managers will always vote to defer a decision. Most managers are
bad managers.

The "contract-to-full-time" gambit is used when the hiring manager wants
to break the lethargy of others (in which case he's dynamic and effective,
which is good), or because he can't quite make up his mind, but it keen
enough for a trial run (which is okay if you can do the work without
too many blunders).

-- Robert