Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 5 Mar 1995 to 6 Mar 1995

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 5 Mar 1995 to 6 Mar 1995
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 06:16:43 PST

>I have some questions about this. I'm not in St. Louis, I'm in Silicon
>Valley. I interviewed for a job earlier this week, but because of my
>lack of experience (I've only been working as a tech writer for a
>year; I was a college professor for 8 years), the company doesn't want
>to hire me. We are, however, going to be talking about a contract.

This has a tendency to work out. Most managers, including me, think
seriously about hiding under our desks when it comes time to interview
a new crop of applicants. Once you're in, at whatever status, the
permanent position is yours to lose. You would not BELIEVE how little
management goes on at high-tech companies. By occupying a desk, you
become "permanent" in their minds.

Contractors generally charge around twice what a regular employee would
charge in the same job. Ask for that as if you're certain you're going
to get it. You'll get it. It'll encourage them to convert you to
employee status, and the money makes up for the lack of benefits and
the uncertainty, which is why contractors charge more in the first place.

>My question is, what can I do to maximize my chances of being hired
>permanently? I *really* liked the company, the group, and the work. Is
>it a mistake to push the full-time business when we discuss the
>contract? (That is, suggest that I would like to discuss a permanent
>job again at the completion of the contract?)

Generally speaking, people who offer you a contract when the conversation
was originally about taking you on as an employee WANT to hire you, but
feel that they need a trial run first. In your case, because they feel
you are perfect, but your credentials don't reflect this according to
their silly formulae. This is a good way for a manager to bypass
upper management's stuffiness, because a trial run is even safer than
being a stickler for credentials.

If you do a good job, your manager will be seeking reassurance from YOU
toward the end of the contract. He'll be hoping you aren't going to
take your contracting skills on the road. Hold out for a nice stock
option.

-- Robert