Re: Contracting to start with

Subject: Re: Contracting to start with
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 11:32:00 PST

Sorry Robert, I don't understand your answer. I was telling Kay to focus
only on the contract. Are you saying anything different?
=============
At 6:26 AM 3/7/95 -0800, Robert Plamondon wrote:
>Marc Santaroce said:

>>Karen, IMHO you should not mix apples and oranges. If they like your work,
>>they will bring up full-time status (and you will be in a better bargaining
>>position).

>This is not the way the game is played. "Contract with a possibility
>of converting to full-time" is the way many companies hire people. It's
>also the way a manager can get someone on board whom HIS manager is skeptical
>of. It forces acquiescence out of stuffy, prejudiced, tentative,
>opinionated, or dithering upper managers, because it's hard to say
>no to, "Let's give her a try, If she works out, we'll bring her on
>full-time. If she doesn't, we'll throw her out in the snow." Bad
>managers will always vote to defer a decision. Most managers are
>bad managers.

>The "contract-to-full-time" gambit is used when the hiring manager wants
>to break the lethargy of others (in which case he's dynamic and effective,
>which is good), or because he can't quite make up his mind, but it keen
>enough for a trial run (which is okay if you can do the work without
>too many blunders).

> -- Robert

=======================
Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius